With its 20-year track record, SMC is the training expert in the field of negotiation, mediation and conflict management in Singapore and the region. SMC has conducted workshops in countries such as Fiji, Malta, Jordan, China, Myanmar, the Philippines etc. Our workshops are highly rated. For instance, in one workshop for the Ministry of Education, 100% of participants rated it as either excellent or very good.
Our trainers bring with them the best of both worlds — an Asian sensitivity to cultural nuances in mediation and a background in the Harvard model of interest-based negotiations. They use proven teaching methods and hands-on lessons to liven up the classes. SMC runs workshops for organisations in Singapore weekly.
Strategic Conflict Management for Professionals (Module 2) [SkillsFuture Credit Eligible Course]
Next Course Dates:
13 to 15 May 2020
Registration Fee (Inclusive of GST)
Completed Strategic Conflict Management for Professionals (Module 1)
Diploma (Any discipline), or
Degree (Any discipline)
Email a copy of your educational certificate.
In Module 2, participants learn more sophisticated mediation techniques, building on the foundations of interest-based mediation covered in Module 1.
Role play is used throughout this three-day programme. Attendees who role play as mediators gain invaluable feedback from experienced SMC mediator-coaches.
What You Can Expect to Learn
- Advanced concepts in interest-based conflict management
- Tried-and-tested mediator strategies and approaches
- Advanced tools for effective communication
- Legal and ethical issues in mediation
- Techniques to overcoming impasse
- Insights into drafting settlement agreements
Who Should Attend
- C-suite executives, professionals, managers and executives who manage fall-outs between members of their organisation or between them and external parties
- Professionals and executives involved in group problem-solving
- Individuals who want to learn a dispute resolution strategies they can apply to diverse situations, advancing their professional skills.
Diploma or Degree holder.
Completed Participate in Dispute Resolution: Strategic Conflict Management for Professionals (Module 1).
You must have a good command of the English language. An applicant, whose mother tongue is not English or whose medium of instruction at tertiary level is not English, must show proof of proficiency in the English language. The requirement:
Minimum Acceptable Score
1. Those who have completed an SMC 2-day workshop on mediation within the last 2 years are eligible to attend SCMP (Module 2). And those who have completed SCMP (Module 2) are, in turn, eligible to take the Mediation Skills Assessment (MSA) within 2 years of completing SCMP (Module 2).
2. These individuals may skip SCMP (Module 1) and sign up directly for SCMP (Module 2):
- Candidates who have completed the Mediation skills elective at the Preparatory Course leading to Part B of the Singapore Bar examinations.
However, you must register within 2 years from the date of release of Part B results.
- In addition, people from this group are entitled to 15% discount off the published rates for SCMP (Module 2).
3. These individuals may skip SCMP (Module 1) and SCMP (Module 2) and sign up directly for MSA:
- Law students from the National University of Singapore who have completed the Mediation Elective. However, you must register within 2 years from when you receive your degree.
- We, however, strongly encourage individuals from this group to attend SCMP (Module 2) (you will be entitled to 15% discount off the published rates), which will better prepare you for MSA.
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT POINTS (CPD):
The Singapore Institute of Legal Education (SILE) has accredited this workshop as follows:
- CPD points for Lawyers: 18
- Practice Area: Professional Skills
- Training Category: Advance
Participants who require CPD points should state their Admission as Advocate and Solicitor Number (AAS No.) on the registration form.
For more information on the SILE’s CPD Scheme, visit: www.sileCPDcentre.sg
The Council for Estate Agencies (CEA) has accredited this workshop as follows:
- CPD Credit Hours: 6 CPD Core Hours
For more information on CEA’s CPD Scheme, visit:
1. SkillsFuture is a national movement to nudge Singaporeans — self-sponsored individuals 25 years and above — towards lifelong learning and growth. People who attend these programmes may apply their $500 SkillsFuture credit (or any part of it) to offset their course fee. For more information, refer to www.skillsfuture.sg.
2. Attending SCMP Module 2 qualifies all Singapore businesses for tax deductions/allowances. Or, they can opt for cash payouts from the Productivity and Innovation Credit (PIC) Scheme administered by the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS), subject to terms and conditions. For more information on the PIC scheme, visit the IRAS website here.
3. SMC reserves the right to cancel a workshop and to change published details without prior notice.
4. SMC has revised its Associate Mediator accreditation policy since 1 July 2015. Under the revised policy:
- Participants who complete SCMP Modules 1 and 2, and pass the Mediation Skills Assessment will not be automatically accredited as Associate Mediators on SMC’s Panel of Associate Mediators.
- Participants who pass the Mediation Skills Assessment can, however, have their skills formally recognised by applying to be Singapore International Mediation Institute (SIMI) Accredited Mediator Level 1. Visit: http://www.simi.org.sg/What-We-Offer/Mediators/SIMI-Credentialing-Scheme.
5. Participants who completed SCMP Module 1 before 1 July 2015 are not affected by this revised policy.